Skip to main content

How many sci fi books have you read

It's not a competition. It's an honest question.
Over at SFsignal the question was asked what it means to consider yourself well-read in science fiction. The author at SFsignal has read over a thousand different books over half a century. While impressive even this effort barely scratches the surface of published books in the genre.
Curious, I decided to make my own list using the goodreads app. After about an hour I've come up with a list with 103 different novels in it.
One of the things I noticed is a tendency to bulk read the works of authors I liked. Out of the 103 books I've read, roughly a third come from half a dozen authors with a large catalogue of work.
The second point I noticed is how far behind the times I am. Most of the novels I've read were published before 1980. Obviously I'm still trying to catch up on the classics in a genre constantly progressing.
So am I a reliable source judge sci fi books? I honestly don't know.
If you are at all curious as to which book is my favorite, it is still the first sci fi novel I ever read. Dune.

Comments